You are an involved parent and you want information on how you can navigate the education years and support your student as much as possible. These pages will provide ideas and inspiration curated by TKG friends and family.
Your ideas and suggestions are welcome! Thanks for sharing…
Peter Greene’s digest on Reclaiming Public Education via rpe101.com.
Click here to peruse studies and statistics that provide background and talking points.
Click here to learn about our recent or upcoming workshop for parenting and communication.
TKG is involved in developing a resource for educators and community to foster a more inclusive society. Learn More.
Click here to get tips, reading recommendations and inspiration.
Institute for Humane Education – Check out this page on the Humane Education website. You’ll find suggested lesson plans & activities, books, websites, and more.
TKG’s READING LIST updated 8/13/2014
Reading List – These books may help in your journey through TKG. Selected features will be discussed at Book Clubs, Parent Trainings and at parent meetings throughout the school year.
Education and Learning Theory
• Constructivism: Theory, Perspectives And Practice, Catherine Twomey Fosnot
• Multiple Intelligences: New Horizons in Theory and Practice, Howard Gardner PhD
• The Schools Our Children Deserve: Moving Beyond Traditional Classrooms and “Tougher Standards”, Alfie Kohn
• Punished by Rewards: The Trouble with Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A’s, Praise, and Other Bribes, Alfie Kohn
• Mind in the Making: The Seven Essential Life Skills Every Child Needs, Ellen Galinsky
• Childhood and Society, Eric Erikson PhD
• Peaceful Parents, Happy Kids: How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting, Dr. Laura Markham
• Parent Effectiveness Training: The Proven Program for Raising Responsible Children, Thomas Gordon
• Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide for Parents Whose Child Is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, and Energetic; Mary Sheedy K
• Yardsticks: Children in the Classroom Ages 4-14, Chip Wood
Communication and Relationship Building
• Choice Words, Peter H. Johnston
• Opening Minds: Using Language to Change Lives, Peter H. Johnston
• Helping Young Children Flourish, Aletha Solter PhD
• How to Talk So Kids Will Learn, Faber & Mazlish
Brain and Neuroscience
• The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child’s Developing Mind; Daniel J. Siegel (Author), Tina Payne Bryson (Author)
• Parenting From the Inside Out, Dan Siegel PhD
• Essay: Improving School Outcomes by Addressing the Whole Child and by Addressing Skills and Attitudes, Not Just Content, Adele Diamond
• Strength to Love, Martin Luther King Jr.
• The Four Agreements, Don Miguel Ruiz
Connection To Nature & Right To Play
• Last Child in The Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder, Richard Louv
• Playful Parenting; Lawrence J. Cohen
• Tumbling Over the Edge, Bev Bos